Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Fluffy Sticky Lemon rolls; sweet and tart

IMG_3366
Delicate soft rolls tangy enough to stand up against the sugar. Really very nice! Very important to not overbake, rather take them out a tad early to keep the fluff in the bread. 
It all starts with dough:IMG_3357
25 gr fresh yeast (or 2.1/2 tsp instant yeast)
1 cup milk
4 tbs soft butter
4 tbs vegetable oil
2 tsp vanilla
3.1/2 cups bread flour (475-500 gr)
1 cup ap flour (appr. 130gr)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon
zest of 1 lemon (juice will be used for glaze!)
2 medium eggs
Simple straight forward dough: knead all ingredients until you get a rather stiff but supple doughball and leave to rise until doubled (approx. 1 hour). Roll out into a rectangle of approx. 10”x15”.
(Or cover and place in the fridge for up to 24 hours).

Sticky lemon filling:
3/4 cup sugar
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger powder
1 lemon; juice and zest
3 tbs soft butter
Mix sugar with spices and rub in the zest, then add lemon juice.

Spread the rectangle with butter and follow up with the lemon-sugar mixture. make sure to leave the borders bare. Roll up from the longer side and pinch the dough closed. Messy messy! Have to say that the filling will ooze out from everywhere really but try to keep most of it in. This is why it is important to keep your borders naked otherwise you’ll end up in deep citrus mess. ;-)
Slice in 1.1/5” or 2” rolls, it made me 15 rolls that fitted nicely in a 13x9” pan as you can see below. (Right pic is fully risen btw). Edit: for your pleasure and your pan's health it is a good idea to line your pan with parchment. Leave an overhang on the short sides for easy lifting.
IMG_3359 IMG_3361
Cover and leave to rise approx. 45 minutes or until they fill the pan. Preheat oven to 350F/180C  and bake for 30-35 minutes. Keep a close eye on them they near the end of baking time, I took them out when the rims were nicely browned but the dough inbetween almost looked not done and that turned out to be perfect. In my oven closer to 30 than to 35 minutes.
Adding a simple lemon glaze by using the reserved lemon juice and powdered sugar. Yum! Perfect Sunday brunch.
IMG_3363

17 comments:

  1. How delicious is that, I want to take a bite right now. Must smell a bit the same as it does here, I've got lemon rolls in the oven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa, these look gorgeous! Am bookmarking this one for the weekend....yummmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. These sound yummy! Sort of like cinnamon rolls with lemon zest and a brioche dough. Mmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ciao ! These rolls look fantastic ! i want to make them right now !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look awesome! I will bake them soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Lien I love lemon anything; they're all gone otherwise we could exchange.

    @ Nicole: you'll have a lovely weekend breakfast

    @ David: Exactly!

    @ Natalia: Thanks!

    @ Zorra: thanks Zorra!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness. Come to momma! These lemon babies look and sound amazing. I'll have to try these since I'm trying to bake more yeast recipes this year (and I know "sweet" yeast recipes are more challenging than regular yeast breads - I'll spare you the story of my dense-Stollen-turned-biscotti story from last month - it was great biscotti, btw) :o)

    ReplyDelete
  8. the sticky rolls look really great...I am gonna try them

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! Love the looks of those!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful and I love that the lemon filling has spices too, not just lemon (although I love lemon) because it is so much more interesting that way. Would love one of these with a cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look amazing! My husband loves cinnamon rolls. With lemon he'd just roll over and drool. I'll take pictures of it for you when I make them. It should be amusing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Hanâa: oomph! yes, sweet enriched yeast doughs are a category in themself, I know! There's this sugar and butter laden whisky rolls recipe ringing a bell....

    @Bergamot and Chelly: thanks girls!

    @Elle: I was a bit careful with regard to the spices but next time I will add more in the filling and probably add some cardamom as well.

    @Lynn: Yes, please do! Looking forward to it hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds interesting. These are great photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Murasaki that is so sweet! I noticed I put off blogging because I didn't like my pics, so I decided to go with what I have. Glad you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look and sound fabulous!

    Ha, unlike Elle, I was thinking that I'd love to try these without the cinnamon. Lemon is so wonderful. (But I'd hold onto the ginger and nutmeg... go figure.)

    Now that I see the suggestion to use cardamom, I'm really torn.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those look so good! I have some lemon sugar that I was thinking of using for lemon pull apart bread, but I think I will give these a try instead...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Golly Karen these look totally wonderful. Lemon has got to be one of the very best, right up there even with chocolate. Must give these a try.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I really appreciate and enjoy reading all your comments! If you have any questions feel free to email me.